Background

Friday, May 2, 2008

It's been a looooong time again! I am so sporadic with this journaling thing but I really am gonna try to do better.

Lately I've been working on adding texture to my work on canvas. I've discovered Gesso and Punchinella (sequin scrap). This collage was my first attempt and it came out pretty good. I started with a really cheap stretched canvas and gave it a good coat with the Gesso. Boy did I ever make a mess of myself and that stuff is a brute to get off! First lesson learned: BE AS NEAT AS POSSIBLE! I had a piece of large open weave stuff that I laid on the wet Gesso and went over it with another coat. Then I found this little piece of sequin Punchnella that I received in a swap on Flickr and thought I would give that a try. I just laid it on the canvas and put a heavy coat of Gesso over it and gently lifted it off and...TA-DAH...instant texture. I used it a bit more than left the whole thing to dry overnight. Next I painted the whole surface with mint green craft paint. When that was dry, I gave a few spritzes with homemade Pearl Mist than highlighted over everything with Perfect Pearls. I really impressed myself and can't decide if I want to part with this collage or now. Also, I have invested in 20 yards of Punchinella...no more scraps for me!





No comments: